Wednesday 23 January 2008

Fleetwood pledges loyalty to Rovers

This morning, on my daily look around the BBC Sport Website, an article grabbed my attention.

Over the weekend, Forest Green had accepted an offer from Crewe Alexandra for their free-scoring striker Stuart Fleetwood. It seemed inevitable that he had played his last game for the non-leaguers, and Rovers fans looked to console themselves with the £175,000 to spend, but Fleetwood had other ideas.

"It is a decision I have reached along with my family", said Fleetwood.

"Everyone at Rovers has made us so welcome, from the Boardroom to the supporters on the terraces. My mother in particular has a genuine affection for the club and everyone she meets each match day.

"The club is now part of my family as well and I am committed with my team-mates to making this the best ever season that the club have experienced in their history.

"Obviously I have been kept informed by the club of all the interest shown and I can honestly state that even if any other clubs come in with a late bid before the transfer window closes, I am not interested.

"The summer may be a different matter but I owe a debt of gratitude to the gaffer (Jim Harvey). At a time when many thought my career had ended, he had faith in me and I love the way he has the lads playing and that has helped me tremendously".

While this could mean Forest Green lose out on a substantial amount of money, Fleetwood's commitment would give them a decent shot at the play-offs, and possible promotion to the promised land of League football.

Fleetwood's attitude is refreshing, it's a nice change to see a player put his club before his wallet, and he's showing real gratitude to manager Jim Harvey for giving him a second chance.

It's good to see loyalty still exists.


JAMES LEWIS

No comments: