Friday 14 March 2008

Cheltenham reach new highs with a sensational double

Back in November, Cheltenham took on Leeds United at Whaddon Road. A capacity crowd packed into the small stadium, to watch Cheltenham defend heroically, and nick a late goal to take the three points. Fans went wild, and it was billed as one of Cheltenham's greatest ever results.

But surely it was a one off. Surely Leeds would wait until Cheltenham came to Elland Road and teach them a lesson in football? Especially since Cheltenham's away form had been pretty much woeful. Even Port Vale had managed to hammer us 3-0 earlier in the season.

So onto Tuesday March 11. The Saturday before, Cheltenham had lost 2-1 at Yeovil after a poor performance. The doom merchants were out in force. "Go easy on us" they begged Leeds. "We'll be lucky to be only 4-0 down at half time."

Now admittedly I didn't travel to Elland Road. A four hours plus bus journey was beyond me,
instead I accompanied my housemate to the SU bar to watch Liverpool take on Inter Milan.

On getting home, after a rather dull (for a non-Liverpool fan) second leg, I suddenly remembered that Cheltenham had played Leeds today. I chastised myself for being a rubbish supporter, then, as my computer was at the time very much on the blink, got my phone out, and found the BBC Sport website....

So I scrolled down the list of results, thinking "I wonder how many we lost by?", fearing the Leeds backlash. And then I got to the score...

"Leeds United 1-2 Cheltenham Town".

"Surely that must be a misprint. Surely the 1 must mean 7 or something. Cheltenham surely couldn't have done the double over Leeds? Even Manchester United struggled to do that!", I thought to myself.

I found the whole thing rather amusing. How could Cheltenham go from being outplayed by a rather average Yeovil side, to beating a team which only seven years ago was beating AC Milan and the like in the Champions League, in their own backyard. Leeds losing at Whaddon Road, although still shocking, is partly excusable. Games like that are more difficult than you think, with the crowd close to the pitch, the tight atmosphere, and the players playing as if their lives depended on it.

I had presumed that it was a case of Leeds outplay Cheltenham, Cheltenham get two on the counter attack, then Leeds, after battering Cheltenham, get a goal but Cheltenham defend heroically and sneak the win. Not so according to various sources. Apparently, Cheltenham had been much the better side, and could have won by a higher margin than 2-1.

Yesterday I had the "privilege" of watching the highlights on Virgin Media. The same Virgin Media who once managed to include two commentaries during the same match. The Cheltenham-Leeds highlights didn't feature such an interesting experiment, but did have one of the most bored sounding commentators ever. Most of the highlights seemed to consist of Leeds shooting over the bar, with Cheltenham's goals being squeezed in. Pick of the two was
a curler from Alex Russell from the corner of the penalty area.

Leeds fans meanwhile bemoaned the "darkest day in the clubs history", while Cheltenham prepare for a local derby against Bristol Rovers, relaxed after a day at the races.

JAMES LEWIS


No comments: